Google Apps for Education Permissions and Acceptable Use Form
(to grant permissions for your student to participate in the Google Apps program,
please see the Forms tab on the Genesis parent portal, or click here)
Google Apps for Education is an online suite of applications designed for schools which includes calendars, email, web pages, word processing, spreadsheets, and presentations -- all of which synchronize and flow together and integrate into existing course curricula. Google Apps for Education is provided free of charge to schools, colleges and universities across the United States and around the world. We believe these tools will provide the essential skills students will need to be adept in the global workplace of this century.
To encourage the use of 21st Century Learning skills and increase communication and collaboration among students and teachers, one or more of your child’s classes maybe using Google Apps for Education during the school year. ALL STUDENTS PARTICIPATING IN THE GOOGLE APPS FOR EDUCATION PROGRAM MUST HAVE PARENT/GUARDIAN PERMISSION. Permission form is available on the Genesis Parent Portal (Forms tab); alternatively, you can print/sign the Technology & Applications Permission form here. If you have already signed the Google Apps permission form, you do not need to sign this again for the new school year.
Gmail accounts will be assigned to each student (in grades 6-12 ONLY) pending parental/ guardian approval. The email address will only work within Fair Lawn’s Google Apps domain. Students cannot email to or receive email from outside of this domain.
As a participant in Fair Lawn's Google Apps for Education program, students must assume the following responsibilities for all their communication and work within the Google Apps domain:
- ●all communication and work must be done for educational purposes only.
- ●communicate with others in a courteous and respectful manner at all times.
- ●maintain the privacy of their assigned email address and passwordand respect the privacy of others.
- ●use only the provided email address and password.
- ●follow the policies as stated in the Fair Lawn Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) which each student and parent/guardian has already signed.
Within the domain, students must not:
- ●access files and information other than their own.
- ●tamper with or destroy data
- ●access or distribute abusive, harassing, libelous, obscene, offensive, profane, pornographic, threatening, sexually explicit or illegal material.
- ●engage in any activities for commercial, purchasing, financial gain or illegal purposes.
- ●use a false identity in any communications or work
- ●misrepresent the Fair Lawn Public Schools
Access to and use of the Google Apps for Education domain is considered a privilege accorded to the Fair Lawn Public Schools. The School District maintains the right to immediately withdraw the access and use of the Google Apps for Education domain when there is reason to believe that violations of law or District policies have occurred. In such cases, the alleged violation will be referred to the Principal for further investigation and adjudication.
The Google Apps for Education domain has strong content filters in place. However, the Fair Lawn Public School District cannot assure that users will not be exposed to unsolicited information and does not guarantee the security of the electronic files located on the Google servers.
The general right of privacy will be extended to the extent possible in the online environment of the Google Apps for Education domain. The system administrators may have to examine files and email to diagnose and correct problems within the Google Apps for Education domain. The School District reserves the right to access the student accounts in the domain including current and archival files.